Members of the comics studies communities at Michigan State University, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and the University of North Texas invite proposals for a virtual comics symposium.
The events of 2020 have disrupted normal patterns for professional conferences, resulting in cancellations of major comics studies meetings. To fill the lacunae left by these cancellations, three university comics studies communities are uniting with Digital Frontiers to offer the Flyover Comics Symposium, a virtual conference for comics studies scholars, students, and professionals.
Registration is now closed. Pay What You Will (Suggested $25)
- Symposium Dates: September 24 & 25, 2020
- Submission Deadline: August 2, 2020
- Notification Date: August 15, 2020
- Registration Opens: June 15, 2020
- Registration Closes: September 21, 2020
- Shawn Gilmore, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Spencer D. C. Keralis, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Samantha Langsdale, University of North Texas
- John Edward Martin, University of North Texas
- Matthew Noe, Harvard University
- Mara Thacker, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Justin Wigard, Michigan State University
If your organization is interested in sponsoring this event, we’re grateful for contributions of $250 to help cover administrative costs for the event and provide perks for participants. Sponsors will have their logo included on the site and related print or web materials, will receive special recognition during Symposium events, and have the option of sharing promotional materials with participants.
If you have a proposal that was accepted to any canceled comics event in 2020, POW! you’re accepted! Just submit your 500-word abstract and upload a PDF of your acceptance notification in the submission form.
We’re also happy to consider original submissions. These will undergo transparent peer review by the Organizing Committee.
We welcome submissions of individual presentations (20 minutes), fully constituted panels (60 minutes), and conference posters.
Submissions are due August 2, 2020.
Submissions are now closed.
Abstracts will be published in Proceedings in Unbound: A Journal of Digital Scholarship, and presenters will have the option of publishing revised talk scripts, or expanding their presentations into full papers.